Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Coimbatore lad ranked third in science Olympiad

For K M S Rohit, a class 10 student of Lisieux Matriculation Higher Secondary School in the city, securing a third rank in the National Science Olympiad was literally a walk in the park. To put it in Rohit's own words, if he is passionate about something in life then it is science, his favourite subject.

"Science has always been my favourite subject. I also spend a lot of time reading scientific books and articles on the internet. I always ensure that I know a little bit more than what is included in my academic syllabus," says Rohit.

Rohit had cleared the preliminary stage of the Science Olympiad examination held a few months back and then appeared for the second level and emerged as the third rank scorer.

As per the norms of the National Science Olympiad conducted by the Science Olympiad Foundation (SOF), Rohit's will be officially called international third rank holder as children from CBSE and ICSE schools abroad also appear for the examination.

The National Science Olympiad is being held for the last 16 years in the country. The British Council and BBC knowledge is also involved with Science Olympiad Foundation for conducting the Olympiad.

"The exam is conducted in multiple choice objective answer format. It was not very difficult and I gave my best for it," Rohit adds.

Rohit says his parents, G Madhusudhanan, a city-based businessman, and his mother Sheela Madhu, an assistant engineer with TANGEDCO, always support him and constantly motivate him in his studies. "My teachers at school guide me and make it a point to patiently solve my doubts even if I ask questions repeatedly," Rohit adds.

A cash award of Rs 10,000 has also been announced for Rohit, which was to be presented at the award ceremony in New Delhi on June 16. Rohit could not attend the function due to some emergency at home. Former chief justice of India, RC Lahoti was the chief guest at the function.
Though science is his passion, Rohit is not the stereotypical book worm and participates in sports and cultural activities.

He also says that his ambition in life as of now is to become an IITian. "I play football for my school team and participate in inter-school tournaments. I am part of my team's defence," Rohit says.

No comments: